Monday, June 20, 2011

Scary Story (it's a work in progress and lacks a title)

A heavy thump lands on the thick wooden door. I remain silent, hiding my presence. Another loud thump. The ancient metal doorknob rattles. Chills run down my spine. An eery something floats past the curtained windows. The light darts from the shadow, afraid to be consumed in its darkness.


Just last week old Henry died. Since then, things around here haven't been quite right. A silence fell over the small town; a stillness shadowing every hope. Children cry out in the middle of the night, screaming “There's something staring in through my window!” Bright eyes looking in. Their parents run in but then stand frozen in fear, unable to tell them “It's all just a dream.”

Town Sheriff Damien Alexander told Mayor Lark to hold a meeting out on the green in front of the Mayor's office. The Sheriff looked down onto his scared community and said, “We are approaching our darkest hour. There is something in this town that can only be explained as evil. You've all seen it, heard your children cry, and felt as it passed through you, darkening your every thought. It has tormented us. Threatened us-”

A shriek lit through the air.

All the eyes of the town turned quickly to the tall white Church standing on the edge of the green, directly across from the Mayor's office. A black shadow, or creature, neither human, nor natural, shining eyes peering back out at the crowd, turned and glided into the church. Right through the closed and locked doors.

The town waited, in both fear and silence, and watched.


Old Henry was a quiet man. A gentle, quiet man. He kept to himself in his well-kept cabin that stood beside the Church. Sometimes he would wander across the green singing to himself as the seasonal breeze would wisp his thin, grey hair about. Every Sunday, he could be spotted at Church. He would sit right in front. He could sing every hymn, recite any prayer. He knew everyone in the town and knew every stranger.
On his porch, he would sit every night. With a wood carved pipe in one hand, and a thick leather bound book in the other, he would look out into our town as if he were expecting Death to walk up the sturdy steps to his home and greet him and take him into the beyond.

~
The curtains over the windows breathe in and out. The walls bend in towards the room as unnatural footsteps cross the room. I hold my breath, or rather, I cannot breathe. Fear flows through my body. Boots covered in fresh muck and Earth pass by me, so close that I could reach out and touch them. He stops suddenly.
The rain and wind outside pick up with a terrifying force.
A deep laugh fills the hallow room. Then silence. Nothing. It is as if he vanished into thin air.

Something grabs on to my foot.
~
Discovered by Town Sheriff Damien Alexander on the date of March 25, 1999
Dear Mary Beth

I can feel the darkness creeping in. I can feel it taking over. Consuming my being. It eats away at my soul. Tears angrily and ferociously at my heart. My head. Throbs with a pain so sharp that I cannot hear. I cannot think. I am losing myself to the monster dwelling in the darkest corners of my mind. The untamed beast that scratched and howled, that tore away the hope in my mind.
It has been five days. Five days, I think. I hope. No longer can I feel my breaths circulate down through my lungs. I can only think of the demons that take me over .Take control. Squirming through my once lucid thoughts.
The darkness envelopes around me. Slowly, my mind turns. Ripping my every thought apart and dissecting it into a million misshapen pieces. I am lost.
I am losing the battle and cannot find the strength to continue onward. I cannot find the hope to see the light. I cannot even imagine light. I can only accept this darkness as a sign that I may never escape.
Time is dwindling. Moments forgotten because the oxygen in my lungs cannot find its way to my brain. Because my mind is lost in this angry sea of black and deeper black. Sludge and slime. I am drowning and I don’t even have the courage
to save myself.
Sincerely yours,
Nathaniel Hawkinz
~

Nathaniel Hawkinz was a cheerful man. He had a lovely wife, Mary Beth whom cared deeply for him. When he disappeared, she searched for days. The town warned her against it. If he was the one possessed by whatever darkness had fallen across the town, it was best for her to keep away. It would only hurt her more. 
To be continued.... 

Hostage to the Devil: The Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary AmericansThe Dark Sacrament: True Stories of Modern-Day Demon Possession and Exorcism

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unity

 Each  and every  day we grow older Our wrinkles grow deeper Our hair thins greys and falls out Each  and every  day We grow My heart aches ...