“It is a curious thing, the death of a loved one. We all know that our time in this world is limited, and that eventually all of us will end up underneath some sheet, never to wake up. And yet it is always a surprise when it happens to someone we know. It is like walking up the stairs to your bedroom in the dark, and thinking there is one more stair than there is. Your foot falls down, through the air, and there is a sickly moment of dark surprise as you try and readjust the way you thought of things.”
― Lemony Snicket in A Series of Unfortunate Events
As many know, I am Kirsten, Andy and Doloris' granddaughter, and the daughter of Rob and Sue. Upon hearing the news of Pep's passing, I had to sit as I'm imaging many of you did. This was something that I knew would happen eventually, as, at the risk of sounding too morbid, we all move on from this life and into whatever comes next at some point or another. These last few years have been difficult years, in the sense that Pep had been in and out of the hospital. Each time I would pray and hope that he would recover and get better. Alas, we sit and stand here today knowing that Pep put up the good fight and fought until the end.
I would like to share my experience of being an adult with living grandparents:
To many of my friends, this is a foreign concept. I'm not sure why, as it's a really amazing thing to have. Getting to know Mem and Pep as mentors and friends, and not just my parents' parents has been a blessing. Pep had been a flight engineer for the Navy, and Mem was a productive Navy wife actively involved in the Navy Wives Club. My husband Sean, who could not be here today is an Army pilot, and I like to think of myself as a productive Army wife involved in the Family Readiness Group. Of the times that we shared with Mem and Pep, Sean and I could only talk about how much we aspire to be like them one day.
The thing that I love about Mem and Pep is that you can tell that they loved each other dearly. I loved listening to Pep start giving Mem a hard time while driving and Mem turning and saying, "You are being such a pill!" and Pep letting out a grunt in opposition. As a little girl, he used to call me the Quin which made me so angry because, "No Pepe, it's QUEEN!" I love that Pep was so creative, and intelligent. I remember the little things he would make for me. He put together my 3rd grade school project for Charlotte's Web and you best believe that I won first place. He made a basketball court for my basketball barbies that I received one year for Christmas. All the doll houses and Christmas Villages, and the train sets; and all the times that he and my dad were putting this or that together. The are so many memories I could share about Pepe.
So many good memories.
I will miss that smirk he got on his face when he thought he was being clever, or that nonstop shake in his neck. I'll miss sitting at a restaurant and him blowing his straw wrapper at me or mem. I'll miss hearing, "Hello, my girl." whenever I call or visit. I'll miss sharing wine coolers and military stories while playing dominos. Most importantly, I'm going to miss his love and support.
Thank you all for coming and paying your respects to the wonderful man Pepe was.
I would like to share my experience of being an adult with living grandparents:
To many of my friends, this is a foreign concept. I'm not sure why, as it's a really amazing thing to have. Getting to know Mem and Pep as mentors and friends, and not just my parents' parents has been a blessing. Pep had been a flight engineer for the Navy, and Mem was a productive Navy wife actively involved in the Navy Wives Club. My husband Sean, who could not be here today is an Army pilot, and I like to think of myself as a productive Army wife involved in the Family Readiness Group. Of the times that we shared with Mem and Pep, Sean and I could only talk about how much we aspire to be like them one day.
The thing that I love about Mem and Pep is that you can tell that they loved each other dearly. I loved listening to Pep start giving Mem a hard time while driving and Mem turning and saying, "You are being such a pill!" and Pep letting out a grunt in opposition. As a little girl, he used to call me the Quin which made me so angry because, "No Pepe, it's QUEEN!" I love that Pep was so creative, and intelligent. I remember the little things he would make for me. He put together my 3rd grade school project for Charlotte's Web and you best believe that I won first place. He made a basketball court for my basketball barbies that I received one year for Christmas. All the doll houses and Christmas Villages, and the train sets; and all the times that he and my dad were putting this or that together. The are so many memories I could share about Pepe.
So many good memories.
I will miss that smirk he got on his face when he thought he was being clever, or that nonstop shake in his neck. I'll miss sitting at a restaurant and him blowing his straw wrapper at me or mem. I'll miss hearing, "Hello, my girl." whenever I call or visit. I'll miss sharing wine coolers and military stories while playing dominos. Most importantly, I'm going to miss his love and support.
Thank you all for coming and paying your respects to the wonderful man Pepe was.
No comments:
Post a Comment