Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I come to her bed and take her hand,
“Mother,” I say, “It is time for you to go.”
She looks up at me with tired, weary eyes
And whispers to me “I have wanted to for some time,
You know.”

She turns her head to look outside
To see beyond the white curtains
And glass window
Her enclosed prison that has held her
For too long a time

The nice man told her it would be soon
And she cried

I do not know whether it was joy
Or sorrow that I saw in her eyes

I do not know whether it was joy or sorrow
That I felt inside

Brother brought her flowers today
He leaned down and hugged her gently
As not to hurt her
But it does
Everyday it hurts her to be alive

She would never admit it
But the silver frame that has father’s youthful face
Crystallized with time
Would tell you another story

A story of when she believed in not only love
But in life

The nice man gave her a choice
And she chose to walk with him

He took her hand and told her that everything would be alright
She would soon see the valleys and mountains,
The sun, the moon, the stars, and the clouds that gather in Heaven’s sky

He told her that her days were numbered but that in her
He could always find life
And he was right

I remember my mother’s long flowing hair
How it would turn to gold in the sunlight
As she twirled around
taking it in as thought it was the very essence of youth

As she laughed and grabbed my father’s hand
They would part, then collide and kiss
As though the universe could not pull them apart
But it did

I laid with Mother
And asked if she needed anything
She closed her eyes
Breathed in deeply
Then said, “Take me home, dear Lord,
I pray that you take me home.”

She reached for the glass,
Hands shaking as she took hold
She told my brother and me,
“I have only believed in two things in my life;
In Christ Almighty and in love.  Promise me
That each day you will trust in God
And trust in love.  Promise me this.”

We promised quietly,
As she took her first sip of her medication
It was bitter but she continued

We could only sit by her and watch
As she slowly slipped away
A lady until the death

I whisper to myself
Mother,
We will miss you
Each and every day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unity

 Each  and every  day we grow older Our wrinkles grow deeper Our hair thins greys and falls out Each  and every  day We grow My heart aches ...