Friday, October 28, 2011

Dear Mom and Dad,

I keep picking up my phone asking myself if I should call.  I don't know if I should.  It's only been a day since we last spoke and I don't have anything left to talk about but I feel that I should.  The majority of our calls are the same but there's a reason for them.  Maybe not to talk but to share in a moment.  A moment that we feel we are losing as our time on Earth slips through our clenched fingers.

If we were home, perhaps we would be watching tv instead, or chasing Michael around the house.  Instead, we sit on the phone thinking up things, anything really, to talk about.  But it doesn't matter.  That's just how it is.

I keep thinking of my life leading up to this moment:
The dome house
Lighthouse Point
Ormond-by-the-sea
Sturbridge
Fiskdale
Washington
Glastonbury
and Boston- The big city with its bright lights, traffic jams, and ocean view.  The 8 a.m. classes, and the 9 p.m. end of the work day.  Work day?  Work day.

And who would have thought that this would have gone by so fast.  Who would have thought that time would have faded away and instead of being children, we've all grown up.

But when you stop to think about it, you see the sandy beaches, the orange sunsets, and the never ending A1A.  You smell the steaks on the table, the ocean air, and the baby shampoo in the bathroom.  And you feel a sense of love that is non stop, never ending, infinitely expanding as our lives lead us astray.

Do you have any regrets?  Anything you wish that you could take back?  I don't think that you should.  Living with a sense of regret takes away from living each day with a sense of pride and purpose.
Do you think you would do it all the same?  Because I think I would.  I think I would take the good and the bad all over again.

And I don't know what we're put on Earth for but I can tell you what I've taken from it, even if it may not seem too monumental:

If you love and live with a sense of compassion, you will see the world through a whole new lens.  Forgive even when it hurts to.  Love even when you feel the most hate.  Hating someone will only empower that person; kill him with kindness if you have to.  Don't give people a reason to hate you, only a reason to love you.

I don't know what exactly it is that I believe in.  I guess it's just love.  I don't know if I'm right or wrong.  But I know that that's what you both taught me so that's how I'm going to live.

I'm going to live each day with these phone calls that are meant to make up for lost time together.  If you will answer, I will call.  And even if you don't, I'll still try.  There's got to be something that can make up for the missed hugs, forgotten laughs, and moments that will never be that should have been.  I wish that we could stop all of this.  Stop the time, stop the everything.  We could bring it all to back to how it used to be.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I love you and miss you everyday.

For ever and for always,
Your Loving Daughter
Boo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unity

 Each  and every  day we grow older Our wrinkles grow deeper Our hair thins greys and falls out Each  and every  day We grow My heart aches ...