I am a spoon fed replica of the world around me. I do what I am told and ask only when the instructions are unclear. When the sun is out, I am awake. When it disappears below the horizon and the moon rises up, I must sleep because that is what I have been taught. I do not drink because it is evil and drugs are creations of Satan himself. I do not talk back because it is disrespectful nor do I speak unless spoken to. My imagination is confined to a box. I know politics like the back of my hand, and by that, I mean that I don't. There are constantly new cuts, bruises, freckles and callouses that arise without explanation. However, I know the alphabet and can recite it forward and back without rhyme nor reason. I don't know where it came from but I know what it is; that's all that's necessary, right?
I am the robotic youth being told that in order to succeed I need to think outside the box. I don't even know what the box is that they're telling me to think outside of. All I know is that I want to find something more worth living for than these monotone days. A life without a man standing in the front of the room telling me how to think, and instead, telling me where to go to seek adventure, to open my mind. I close my eyes and see a land of pleasure and pain, love and hate, whereas all that I see around me is a bland mixture churning into itself a grey sludge with chunks of unpasteurized slime.
I am the 20/15 visioned student-athlete competing to be the best at everything around me. I have thousands of teammates and thousands of enemies. No one knows me but then again, no one forgets me. My life is spent loving and hating what I do. I do not know why I do it, I just do. Nike has brainwashed the masses. We are living for the sake of living without understanding how it is that we breathe. I am not a product. I am a society.
Monday, October 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Unity
Each and every day we grow older Our wrinkles grow deeper Our hair thins greys and falls out Each and every day We grow My heart aches ...
-
I watch on with eager eyes as the universe consumes me.
-
Each and every day we grow older Our wrinkles grow deeper Our hair thins greys and falls out Each and every day We grow My heart aches ...
-
Children of the moon, we dance we frolic in the waves of night crashing softly on the disappearing sand We laugh and howl like prim...
No comments:
Post a Comment