that our time is fleeting
but she turned to me
with a fearless smile
-her eyes ablaze with
newfound courage
and whispered
"As am I."
~
The lights flickered
from behind her bloodshot eyes.
-Always calculating
Lost within the confines of her own mind
she waits
for someone
anyone
to look beyond the looking glass
to pull her from the dark depths
that encircle each thought
each moment
She told herself
she was brave
she was all-knowing
but what was the point of knowing
if it only ended in her own demise?
She takes a breath
Exhales
Swallows
And so it begins.
And so it shall
all
end.
~
The tension in the air lingered longer
this time than the last.
New beginnings often bring
painful ends.
But, if you could just hear me for one moment,
the book was never closed.
The chapter never complete.
We sit as unfinished characters in a flawed tale.
~
If you could please just hear me
for one moment.
I don't think she can though.
Her blank stare
and damp palms
I know you are in there.
But she's not.
The darkness has taken hold.
She exhales.
And exhales.
And exhales.
Until there is nothing left of her.
Just a crumpled excuse of
who she once was.
Please
hold on.
But she let go
a long, long time ago.
I want to hold her
to breathe the life back
into her limp body.
Her eyes
follow mine
as if to hear my thoughts.
Don't
go.
A tear falls
silently
and I want to plead with her
to beg her to come home.
But she has left
me.
And with her
I am gone.
~
The night sinks into me
like a blade into flesh.
My worst untold tragedy
was the one I could never admit to myself.
These wounds were always self-inflicted.
No comments:
Post a Comment